Published on 03/10/2012
If you had watched the last day of the Ryder in a movie, you would have thought the script was too corny even for the most sentimental of cigar chewing Hollywood producers. I believe that the word ‘Epic’ is an overused word in the age of media hype and spin, but on this occasion it only seems fitting. What a result!
This is where I’d be interested in your opinions as to why YOU think Europe were able to do the unimaginable. Here are a few ideas I would offer:
1. More of our team play the US PGA tour and live out there so the environment is not so daunting.
2. Seve worked his charms from the pearly gates.
3. Momentum is just a strong force that once the first 5 games turned blue that the Yanks just crumbled.
4. We were just better than them. On paper the teams were quite even, it was one of the best teams we’ve had, but world rankings mean nothing compared to form.
5. Ian Poulter – his heart, spirit and belief was able to fuse the European team into a stronger unit than the individuals of America.
Who were your players of the tournament?
For me, I think Paul Lawrie should have a special mention. Nobody really expected him to deliver a 5 & 3 win over Brandt Snedeker. His romping victory would have given the other players belief that this US team were beatable.
What were your favourite moments?
If you can spare 5 minutes, drop me a line back I would be happy to hear from you. You can reach me on firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll be glad to publish the best replies below.
Fairwood Park P.G.A Professional
From Nick Couling;
"I felt it was down to the first 5 wins and particularly Ian Poulter, who turned around a 2 down deficit to win. Ian's approach shot to 18 was a lucky break getting a line from the rough (maybe a Seve break) but it was a class shot to hit the green. It was a great result - and almost felt as good as the 1st Team at Fairwood winning promotion!"
From Paul Barrett;
"It was a surreal reverse of Brookline. After the late 2 points on Saturday evening who would have thought we could overturn a 10-6 deficit? Rose, Poulter, and Lawrie were the outstanding performers for me, with a special mention going to Swansea City FC's newest fan, Sergio Garcia in his battle with Furyk. Captain Olly was an inspiration!"